Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Week 3

This week, my group had a lot of differences, I often felt like we were spinning our wheels. But in retrospect we were quite productive.
We designed a water heating system that was self protecting from theft by turning over at night. It was actually a pretty cool design. When turned over in the "night" position, the reflective material that is used to focus light on the water tube to heat it, reflects lights from LED's back into the room.
The idea of using the reflective material at night was my input into the team, although we did not have enough time to really develop the idea in a usable way on our model, I think there is a lot of potential for the way light moves through water. The only problem being, that the tube needs to be black in the day time in order to best heat the water, but the light would pass through the water best and create the most desirable effect if the tube were clear. Maybe we should have considered some sort of material like transition lenses in some glasses. However I'm not sure that would provide the insulation qualities we required.

Branden showed me how to use the laser cutter when we were building our model, even though we had a demo, I was still unclear. I really appreciated that.

No comments:

Post a Comment