Sunday, September 18, 2011

Jellies!


So, we switched groups. My words to work with are now Wind, Daily, and Inflation. The previous group that worked with these words made a very cohesive shade/ventilation wall-window.
The assignment for the week was to
1. make better models (they gave us acrylic and we had a laser cutting demo) and
2. make it light up (we also got motors, LEDs and potentiometers).
We decided to revamp the purpose of what the original group came up with, instead of ventilation we brought the unit inside for air filtration. The inspiration for a lot of our decisions/concepts came from jellyfish. Jellies cycle the ocean water through a simple motion, and lets face it, they just look cool. Some deep water Jellies are also bioluminescent, which fits in with our need for light. We kept the bellows and hexagon, from the original group design, and I got to play with fabric. This is my personal process for the fabric portion.
first I had to figure out the appropriate angles so I would have the correct size hexagon after sewing the darts.

After all the darts were sewn, I stitched the fabric to the acrylic using pre-cut holes. I was really glad that I have tiny hands at this point...



so there we have it. I can't wait to see it with LEDs!

No comments:

Post a Comment